Re: Burning CDs and Keys

Subject: Re: Burning CDs and Keys
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:10:30 +0200

Hi,

I think, languages are developing.
To burn a CD is a new word, it is poetical, and it is clear.
It is such a good picture, that it spread around the languages.
In German the device is now called "CD Brenner" (literally: to burn CD device)

I think, it depends on audience. As far as I understand, to burn a cd means
the process of writing a cd with such a device, rather than to press them.
By the way: nobody speaks of "burning a CD-RW".

On discs we have the word "löschen" (it is also the word for "extinguish
fire") in German for "delete". This is almost exactly the contrary of
"burn". So you see, we do not use "demagnetizing", and we do not use
"entfernen" (literally: "delete".)

The language lives, if we can find new words or use old words for new meanings.
I would not try to avoid words in technical writing, if they are as common
as "burn"

I hope, it was on topic, even if it is a linguistic question.

Best regards
Bernd
Bernd Hutschenreuther / Technical Writer
net-linx Europe GmbH Dresden / mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- prepress -dot- de
Kaethe-Kollwitz-Ufer 76 / tel: (+49) 351-31875-732
01309 Dresden, Germany / fax: (+49) 351-31875-550
Home: +49-351-8483427 ;-) mailto:Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- sz-online -dot- de