Re: FrameMaker Question

Subject: Re: FrameMaker Question
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:35:30 -0500

Dear All,

I am currently working with Word :-( and have a big problem with references. In order to create references that refer to other parts in the manual, I need to put all chapters into one very large document. Now Word doesn't cope very well with large documents, and the Master Document only works occasionally, so I wondered if FrameMaker was any better as far as references in different files are concerned.

Can you create page references to pages in a different file in FrameMaker?

Sybille,

In a word, yes. We use multiple cross-references in files a lot. FrameMaker handles this very well, and doesn't blink, or crash because of it.

As far as complicated, large documentation is concerned, Word cannot hold a candle to FrameMaker. The design of the two programs are so different that it is evident once you have used both that Word is basically a letter writer, and FrameMaker is a document processor.

In the same vein, I have yet to hear anyone compare Word favorably to Interleaf, and say that Word can effectively compete with Interleaf. Interleaf and FrameMaker compete.

Someone once said that "you can program using Notepad, but who would want to." You can create documentation in Word, but who would want to?

Scott
--
Scott Turner

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.