Re: What's the best software suite, and where to buy it?

Subject: Re: What's the best software suite, and where to buy it?
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 06:33:15 -0700 (PDT)

> For someone just starting out in some independent TW
> work,
> what do you recommend as a start-up software suite?

Whatever the market you're targeting requires.

> From
> the postings it sounds like Framemaker and Acrobat?

That's one combo. I prefer that combo (with WebWorks
Publisher) but not everyone uses/wants it.

> Is MS
> Office a necessary evil that I'll have to buy? What
> about
> web authoring?

MS Office (or a compatable suite) is mandatory
especially for contractors. You may have to pick up a
project done in Word or Excel or have to produce
PowerPoint presentations (or use existing ones).

As far as Web authoring, you have some degree of
choice. I'd go with FrontPage at least, but prefer
Dreamweaver. It all depends on what you want/need to
do.

> These add up to heavy start-up costs,

That's why I'm still a full-time writer. *g* (With a
few side projects, of course.)

> so here's the
> second
> question....where's the best place to get decent
> discounts
> on these products?

Some folks have had luck on eBay. Some people have had
luck posting their needs to various lists and got some
willing folks to sell them their old stuff (then
upgrade).

> Are there software stores at STC
> or
> elsewhere that offer significant savings with
> membership?

Some vendors offer discounts to STC members, but I've
never seen them more than 20%, and even that is rare.

> Are auction sites like ebay and ubid too risky to
> consider?

Auction sites are always a bit risky. But like I said,
some people have had luck with these sites...

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
PowerAdz.com