Tech Writer online portfolios

Subject: Tech Writer online portfolios
From: "Diana Barnum" <dbarnum -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 07:52:16 -0400

Hi,

I have to make my own online portfolio for a tech com class. Does anyone
have links of their own sites, and/or others that are good to share? I know
the STC main site has many, but how about other places for inspiration?

The link under my name is my home page. The only activity is an email link.
I'm trying to show samples of work for each company listed, but am not sure
what form to use. I have WS FTP LE available, Frontpage Express, Word, and
of course the HTML & Notepad. Copies of most online work is stored as
Webpages in a file, but I'm having trouble getting the graphics to show up
after FTP transfer. It's been suggested that the links are being directed
back to my hard drive, so I'm trying to check that out.

Do you prefer screen shots of past work in these portfolios, your own page
creations showing off samples, or copies of your online work in "as is"
uploaded with FTP? (Or other...?)

Do you add a resume? If so, what type? I'd like a very professional look
(I know, lose the comic graphics, right?)

Final note: I use a free host, so adds are on my site or pop up. Is it
advisable as a professional in business to pay for service so these will be
removed?

Thanks & trick or treat!

Diana Barnum
Freelance Writer &