Re: SME...thanks....

Subject: Re: SME...thanks....
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:56:25 -0500

Mike, the term SME is pretty standard in tech writing jargon, but if
you're a new writer, you may not have heard it. Don't be embarrassed.
I do suggest, however, that you probably need to invest in some tools
of the trade, like a good style manual (most of them suggest using
only "click" not "click on/in" for example) and maybe a good tech
writing handbook. I just found an excellent book titled "Developing
Quality Technical Information: A Handbook for Writers and Editors," by
Gretchen Hargis. It covers jargon issues, as well as grammar, clarity,
conciseness, and more. You can order it from Amazon. Several other
good ones are available, too.

A professional technical communicator is only differentiated from
"someone who can (just) write" by how seriously he or she takes his
craft. A good technical communicator knows about organization,
research, technology, and process (eat your heart out, Andrew
Plato!)...not just writing. A good technical communicator doesn't know
EVERYthing, but knows where and how to find the information needed. He
or she can step into the shoes of the user and ask the questions the
user will ask and will need to use the documentation and the software
or whatever product the writer is documenting. Once in awhile, when
certain noted individuals aren't trolling for effect, this list can be
helpful.

Good luck,

Jane Bergen