RE: Illegal interview question

Subject: RE: Illegal interview question
From: Philomena Hoopes <Phila -at- VIPS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:22:40 -0500

<< I've gone to maybe a dozen interviews, and at almost
every one of them I've been asked either if I was Canadian, or if I was not
an American citizen, and what kind of visa I needed... I just found out,
however, that asking for my citizenship or otherwise inquiring into my
unamericanness is illegal>>

Jane, I've never *not* been asked for proof of ability to work, citizenship,
etc. Employers have consistently requested to view my Social Security Card,
birth certificate and/or passport, and driver's license. I'm a
third-generation American citizen, caucasian, without any conceivable sign
of non-American nationality (accent, etc.). Are you sure it's illegal?

Thanks,
Phila
Philomena Hoopes
ViPS, Inc.
The itechnology of healthcare
Phila -at- mail -dot- vips -dot- com <mailto:Phila -at- mail -dot- vips -dot- com>
(410) 832-8330 ext. 8845