Re: Illegal interview question?

Subject: Re: Illegal interview question?
From: "Moe Smith" <moesmith88 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:06:47 GMT

Speaking as someone who has several Canadian friends who are currently working in the US, obtaining a TN1 visa (via the North American Free Trade Agreement) is a very simple matter. All you need to do is go to the Canada/US border (from the Canadian side), show proof of your experience as a "systems analyst",(Nafta was drafted in the late 80's, so computer-talk was somewhat limited, compared to today's standards) i.e. a resume and a letter from your American employer, saying you've been hired on as a "systems analyst" and somewhere between $65 and $85 dollars and you can get the visa on the spot.

When you are asked about availability and citizenship, the TN1 Visa should not be a hinderence to you...explain how easy it is to get one and the matter should be cleared up.

Jane S. is <<...a Canadian citizen and I've been looking for work in the
States. I've gone to maybe a dozen interviews, and at almost every one of
them I've been asked either if I was Canadian, or if I was not an American
citizen, and what kind of visa I needed. So I've always sportively answered
the questions... The visa isn't an issue, as I explain the TN visa applies
to tech writers and it's a relatively easy one to get. I just found out,
however, that asking for my citizenship or otherwise inquiring into my
unamericanness is illegal.>>

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.