Re: And finally, the sign-off was...

Subject: Re: And finally, the sign-off was...
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:29:54 -0800

When a reviewer brings us a major change at the last minute, or after the
scheduled deadline for these changes, we say:

"Wow. How unfortunate these changes didn't get to us in a timely manner (or
the time specified or something like that). Perhaps we can get to them in
the next release or put them in the release notes. Thank you for your
efforts, however. These are sure extensive."

We also explain very clearly in the cover letter that goes out with the
final review that the only changes we expect to see at this time are
technical changes. Any other changes are welcome to be suggested but may not
be implemented at this time.

I am becoming a huge proponent of a tough love approach here. We have way
too much to do with our internal QA review and getting ready for press/PDF
to play the "But I like my words better" game. That's nice that you like
your words. When you go home tonight, I suggest you write all your words
that you want. Right here and right now, we are using these words, so long
as they are accurate (but we also believe, as Andrew P, that accuracy is the
biggest point). Right before we go gold master is not the time to play this
game. And we certainly DO NOT hold a release up to play.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org