Re: Trn'g Guides/Manuals vs User Guides/Man'ls

Subject: Re: Trn'g Guides/Manuals vs User Guides/Man'ls
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:28:23 -0600

I don't have the book at work, but William Horton's book, "Writing and
Documenting Online Documentation" (2nd ed.) has a very good discussion of
differences in instructional material versus procedural material versus
reference material and so on. If you can find a copy of that book, it
might help. You might also search for some training or courseware
development web sites.... they may explain the differences.

I'm not sure that your descriptions are correct...the differences are more
in the presentation and organization of material. For example, a training
manual contains an "objective" for each unit, exercises to practice,
perhaps a summary, etc. Some training manuals have no indexes (which I
feel is a big mistake, but I've seen it a lot). A training manual also is
less linear than a user guide.

A user guide can be procedural or procedural with reference material, as
can a training manual.

Jane Bergen