And finally, the sign-off process is...

Subject: And finally, the sign-off process is...
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 20:30:02 -0000

I wrote:
>I've been working on a document with an SME .... <snip>
>When the SME doesn't like the way I edited something, she doesn't bother
>commenting: she just goes back to her original document and pastes her
>version of the section or the paragraph over my edited version.
<snip lengthy complaint>
>I've asked the project manager to include a discussion on reviewing
protocol
>in a meeting on further documentation scheduled for tomorrow.

We had the meeting. Present: two SMEs from the project, but *not* the one
who'd been "reviewing" that document, the project manager, and the
department manager, who said little but took many notes.

It turned out that the SME(s) had complained to the project manager about
me, and I in turn raised some of the problems I had had with the current
reviewing system. Or lack of system. See my previous e-mails for details.
However, everyone was polite and diplomatic and not sarcastic... <g>.

We sketched out a process. And yes, I'm still at work at 8:30 pm after a 10
hour day, but that's because I spent the past 2.5 hours drafting a work
instruction that explicitly defines what kind of changes the SMEs can make
at what point in the process of creating a user document.

I feel a lot better. And tomorrow, I'm leaving early.

Jane Carnall
O brillig de Twas, e os toves slithy fizeram o gyre e gimble no wabe. Toda
mimsy eram os borogroves, e o outgrabe dos raths do mome.

TECH*COMM 2000 Conference, Help Technology Conference, and more
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230