Subject: Summary: One doc or multiple docs? (Long)
From: "Dawson McKnight" <dawson_mcknight -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:28:59 EST

I asked: How "consolidated" is your documentation set? Do you provide installation, administration, configuration, and troubleshooting guidance in a single document (e.g., an "Administrator's Guide"), or do you provide each of these kinds of instructions in a different document? Without a substantial user base, how can I determine how consolidated my documentation set should be?

Thanks to Geoff Hart, Katie Kearns, Bill Swallow, Abby Matsumoto, and Dianne Blake, who answered:

Reasons to break up your documentation into multiple, smaller documents:

1. You have various groups of users, each of which requires different kinds of information (to paraphrase Geoff Hart). This is particularly important if some users *must not* have access to information in certain parts of your documentation.
2. You are distributing printed documentation with your product, and several kinds of users may need physical access to a single book at the same time. You can, however, alleviate this problem by distributing electronic documentation instead of printed documentation, although this is complicated by item 3.
3. You are distributing electronic documentation with your product (e.g., PDFs), and you want to accommodate users that want to print the documentation on site. For example, the user would find it easier to print a 50-page installation guide than a 350-page administrator's guide that contains 50 pages of installation instructions. The counter-argument to this approach is that most moderately savvy users would use Acrobat to print the relevant page ranges rather than printing the entire file. I suppose that it all depends on your audience's "technical-ness."
4. You are documenting software that runs on multiple operating systems, and each operating system requires a different version of your documentation. There are ways to avoid this, particularly if you are documenting non-command line software. The FrameMaker documentation manages to address several operating systems with a single set of manuals.
5. You are on a team of writers and you need to divide the labor. Assigning one document to each writer allows for greater document ownership and accounts for varying levels of experience (e.g., new and inexperienced writers get to write the "easier" documents). (That didn't sound too great, but I hope you know what I mean. :)
6. Some of your documents are modified and released frequently. Diane Blake writes:
"If all of the documents are normally released/modified at the same time, then it might be appropriate to create a single document. If however, you find certain documents are always in flux, then you might want to keep the documents that turn over more rapidly separate. This will simplify your change history and allow users to better understand when changes happen."
7. You are using Word to produce your documentation. Word is reputed to become unstable after a certain number of pages (I can't remember how many).
8. Some of your sections or documents may need to address additional audiences in the future.

Reasons to consolidate your documentation:

1. You only have one audience.
2. You have multiple audiences but it doesn't matter whether each audience knows what the other audiences should know or all audiences can understand the same explanations of the subject matter.
3. To quote Katie Kearns, "It isn't terribly wonderful for our users to have to sort through 5-10 books to find that they're looking for."
4. You are using FrameMaker or another product that makes the division of labor for long documents easy and that doesn't easily corrupt long files.
5. You are distributing your documentation electronically, so distributing a single document to multiple users does not present the same problems that distributing a single hardcopy manual would.

In conclusion, I'll quote Katie again: "I don't think there is a 'right' answer." I hope that this helps somebody as much as your posts helped me!

Regards,

Dawson