ADMIN: RE: Need help with a research project

Subject: ADMIN: RE: Need help with a research project
From: Eric Ray <ericjray -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 07:54:25 -0800 (PST)

--- BMcClain -at- centura -dot- com wrote:
> *sigh* Another week, another grad student trying to
> get us to do his
> homework for him.

Gang,
I don't think there's ANY need for this kind
of garbage. This list is for EVERYONE interested
in technical communication--including, believe
it or not, students. If you think you're too
good to read or respond to mail from students,
I'd suggest using your delete key or signing off,
but spare us the attitude.

It's somewhere between possible and likely that
a student question will be less well-informed,
less effective at soliciting information from the
community as a whole, and prompted by an
school assignment, rather than a work
assignment. So what? If the topic is appropriate,
then it's appropriate.

Unless you're privy to information that the
rest of us aren't, I think your posting assumes
quite a bit. I don't think this list is the
place to speculate about motives etc. Frankly,
if I were teaching technical communication
courses, I'd expect that students monitor
or use resources like this one, if only to see
the seamier side of the profession, and if
students _didn't_ attempt to leverage the
Internet, I'd question their resourcefulness
and suitability for the profession. Casting
a wide net like this one might be a learning
opportunity, or a chance for a helpful list
member to point out that the results from
this approach are unlikely to be useful for
several reasons, but shouldn't be an opening
for professions of superiority by the non-students
among us.

Note that I'm _not_ suggesting that every student
on the list should directly poll the list on
every issue that comes up, nor am I so blind as
to think that all students will use TECHWR-L
as a _supplemental_ resource, but I do think
that there's room for far more tolerance and
helpfulness than I've seen WRT students in the
last few weeks.

Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

http://shopping.yahoo.com/