Re: giving writing advice

Subject: Re: giving writing advice
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 21:19:56 -0500

Dan Roberts wrote:

> >To succeed as a writer, you
> >must have faith in yourself and your work, and you must have the fortitude
> >to press on and refuse to be beaten. - Herm
>
> jesusmaryandjoseph... the boy was asking for a lead...nothing else ....trang
> out....the only reason i could imagine being overwraught about his request were
> if i had a hot book prospect coming out, about his very topic ... and his
> sounded so academic, that I can't imagine you would.
>
> People ....have you never had a better writer working with you, on yr first job,
> who guided you and gave you tips and suggested better way? Have you never had an
> editor red-ink you for passive voice, or inconsistency in ending list items? Or
> a co-worker remind you that you're trying to address God, Creation, and
> low-level end users, all in the same manual?
>
> And ya know what? Folks here have often claimed that one can have 10 yrs of
> experience or 10 1-years of experience ....and therefore a claim of x books or x
> years ...can often be a bogus measurement ...like pages churned out in a day.

I was going to stay out of this thread but, I thought I would relay
something pertinent that just happened to me.
I attempted to assist someone in another group. During our conversation,
a major problem I am having surfaced. This person I was trying to help,
found a simple solution to this problem that would have taken me a few
days to solve.
Moral of the story, when you cast bread on the waters, you don't always
get soggy bread.

--
Peter

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230