Re: giving writing advice

Subject: Re: giving writing advice
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 21:19:56 -0500

Dan Roberts wrote:
> >To succeed as a writer, you
> >must have faith in yourself and your work, and you must have the fortitude
> >to press on and refuse to be beaten. - Herm
> jesusmaryandjoseph... the boy was asking for a lead...nothing else ....trang
> out....the only reason i could imagine being overwraught about his request were
> if i had a hot book prospect coming out, about his very topic ... and his
> sounded so academic, that I can't imagine you would.
> People ....have you never had a better writer working with you, on yr first job,
> who guided you and gave you tips and suggested better way? Have you never had an
> editor red-ink you for passive voice, or inconsistency in ending list items? Or
> a co-worker remind you that you're trying to address God, Creation, and
> low-level end users, all in the same manual?
> And ya know what? Folks here have often claimed that one can have 10 yrs of
> experience or 10 1-years of experience ....and therefore a claim of x books or x
> years ...can often be a bogus measurement pages churned out in a day.

I was going to stay out of this thread but, I thought I would relay
something pertinent that just happened to me.
I attempted to assist someone in another group. During our conversation,
a major problem I am having surfaced. This person I was trying to help,
found a simple solution to this problem that would have taken me a few
days to solve.
Moral of the story, when you cast bread on the waters, you don't always
get soggy bread.

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)

Dec. 7-8, 2000, Orlando, FL -- $100 discount for STC members. or 800-646-9989.