RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: RE: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Tara English-Sweeney <tesweeney -at- novadigm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:09:29 -0500

[Dannette Thompson wrote] "I studied this topic briefly in college, and
recall that most studies have found the only true way to prevent turnover is
to have a good balance of
money, perks and intrinsic motivation."

I completely agree with this! However, I have to say, I'm not all that
surprised by your superior's comments.

Fair and even above average salaries are important in both attracting and
keeping candidates.
Free lunches? Nice for some, but not a biggie.
Flexible work hours and telecommuting are definitely good.
Working 40 hours on a regular basis - very nice and rare these days.
Free coffee, tea and cocoa - To be nice, I would say - this is no perk.

Some other potential incentives:
- Give employees ownership, make them feel valuable, appreciated and
trusted. Support them and back them up if necessary. Fight for the good
ones. Do everything you can to help them do their job.
- Give them opportunities for upward mobility or to move to other places in
the company.
- Fair and regular raises
- Decent vacation time
- Bonuses
- Flexibility - if someone has a doctor's appointment - let them go. Don't
count hour for hour - because they probably give more than they take. Also,
don't ever make your employees feel guilty for taking personal time.

Just my 2 cents...
Tara

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230