Re: FWD: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: Re: FWD: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 07:40:34 -0800

At 12:41 AM 11/7/00 -0700, you wrote:

What I need help with is the following. One of my superiors has always
insisted that certain company traditions like flexible work hours, casual
dress, and bi-weekly free lunches go a long way toward making up for our
low salaries. A quote: "You're not wearing a suit right now. That's a
company benefit." However, aren't these perks so ubiquitous right now in
software that they don't really constitute an exceptional work atmosphere?

Quite ubiquitous! In fact, it sort of amazes me when anywhere *does* require them. ;) In the past 10 my husband has had one job that required him to wear business casual (dockers and a polo shirt) and I haven't had any. (His job was for a financial institution, so he was even considered incredibly casual compared to all the poor guys wearing suits every day)

I can't imagine requiring a tech writer to dress up. Maybe someone who interacts with customers (like sales?) but not a tech writer.

The only perk I think we offer that really is worth some money is the fact
that we very rarely have to work more than 40 hours a week. There are
maybe six times a year when I have to come in over the weekend or do work
at night. This is worth a certain amount of money to me, since I'm aware
many people in software work much longer hours.

Yeah, but not every one. And those people who do work those hours aren't getting anything near a low salary. ;)

This is a list of our "atmospheric" fringes: can you all let me know
whether you think any of these (and which ones) make up for lower pay?

free lunch every other week

Okay, I think everyone would tell you that, given a choice, they'd rather get an extra $100 every other week. ;) I get free bagels every wednesday, and free leftovers from any meeting (sometimes this is free lunch many times a week. ;D). And, of course, lunch at meetings if they happen near lunch.

free coffee, tea, and cocoa

That's almost standard, too. The only place I've heard of that doesn't do it out here is where my husband works. And that's because he works for a really horrid company. Very cheap. (Yes, he's looking for a new job. ;D)

flexible work hours

Frankly, I'd get annoyed if they weren't, unless the job strictly required it.

occasional telecommuting acceptable (once a week is the standard)

Now that is nice -- a lot of places still don't do that, or it's difficult to get.

casual dress

See above. ;)

a standard 40-hour week

It's more common then a lot of people think. Sure, I've been working 50 hours a week the past few weeks, but that's not usual for me, and if I ever have a day where I need (or want) to leave early, I can just send out an email that I'm leaving early. I think we're juded not by when or how long we're here, but by what we get done.

I would appreciate any responses as soon as possible--I'm mailing out the
salary document and scheduling the meeting today.

What it all comes down to, is that depending on where you live and what your job is, a lot of those perks are really a given. (In fact, if you tell people that their salary is low because of these great perks, I could imagine them getting a little bit insulted or annoyed).

How about training? In the tech industry, getting the training you want is often a very important job perk. People like to think that their company is willing to invest in them. :)

The bottom line is that they could have both the perks and the salary and really be the sort of place that no one ever wants to leave. :) Also, it is possible to hire people at a low salary (while they are still being trained) and manage to pull off some amazing raises or promotions to get them in line with where they should be, after they've aquired all hte skills they need. I was hired as an intern (I knew nothing about tech writing or my subject matter!) but when I showed I could write as good as everyone else, I was converted and turned into a regular old employee. :) I got to change careers, and they got to have me cheap for a few months. Everyone wins!

-Katie