RE: Books on Writing Functional Specifications

Subject: RE: Books on Writing Functional Specifications
From: Jill Waite <jwaite -at- criticaldevices -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:38:52 -0600

John wasn't being negative - on Monday, 10/30/00, John Posada emailed the
following response to a request for functional specs:

"Of course, you cranked up that handy web browser's search engine and
did a search for this before hand, correct? I thought so.

I think John's point was a good-natured throwing up of the hands. Given the
close proximity of John's earlier reply, which was very rich, and the newest
request for exactly the same info - well, I think I would have sighed, too!
He didn't say anything truly negative, just a sigh. You have to wonder
whether the individual who made the most recent request even tried the

Jill Waite

Grace said:
Is there really any need to be so negative towards people asking questions?
I realise that people who have been on the list for some time may have heard
certain questions many times, but if you don't want to reply or even read
it, just delete it. The people on the list who don't mind answering
questions have been invaluable to me, as a new tech writer in a company that
has never had a tech writer before, but its very off putting having people
comment in a negative way on your queries. If you can't say anything nice,
don't say anything at all.

<sigh>...I give up.

to the following request:
I'm looking for books/Web sites on how to write functional
specifications for software products or web sites.

Can anyone help?

Dec. 7-8, 2000, Orlando, FL -- $100 discount for STC members. or 800-646-9989.