Re: FWD: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: Re: FWD: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 10:49:52 -0800

anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:
> What I need help with is the following. One of my superiors has always
> insisted that certain company traditions like flexible work hours, casual
> dress, and bi-weekly free lunches go a long way toward making up for our
> low salaries. A quote: "You're not wearing a suit right now. That's a
> company benefit." However, aren't these perks so ubiquitous right now in
> software that they don't really constitute an exceptional work atmosphere?
> I know he will bring this up during the salary-discussion meeting, and I
> would like to be able to have a more effective response than my usual,
> "Well, I don't think that's true." (I would prefer, "I asked a lot of
> very reputable professionals and they thought. . .")

Tell your superior that thousands of companies have casual dress
codes and money, too. Casual is the norm in the software industry.
At almost every place I've worked, a man who shows up for work in a
suit or a tie has to face jokes about having an interview or a hot
date. At the most conservative software company I worked for, the
dress code was no stricter than business casual, which means for men
a buttoned shirt without a tie, dockers and no running shoes, except
on Fridays.

You might also do a search for an article that was reported on
Slashdot in the last week. I don't remember exactly where the
article appeared (Salon, maybe?), but it summarized the sort of
perks that high-tech workers want. On the top of the list were items
like free home internet connections and telecommuting. At the bottom
were company social events.

Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux
604.421.7189 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

"A polite conformity with the notions of fools is a necessary
- Edgar Pangborn, "Davy"

Dec. 7-8, 2000, Orlando, FL -- $100 discount for STC members. or 800-646-9989.