RE: Books on Writing Functional Specifications

Subject: RE: Books on Writing Functional Specifications
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:59:35 -0800 (PST)

> My, technical writers are a snobby, fussy, pompous bunch.

Floyd...

If on the other hand, this series of flames has prompted one new
writer to understand that:

1) You can't always drink from the information pool without adding
some back, or
2) What that stupid button on the browser called Search is for, or
3) Reasearch on your own always gives you richer information.

than it is worth it.

I prefer to think that our "take-and-no-give-useless-writer"
intolerance is rising. Too many people who are bored with their
current job think that this field is a place to go when you know how
to use a keyboard, a word processor, and have a BA in something. The
skill that is used to find a link on a search engine is the same
skill that is used to find a fact from a SME...research,
trial-and-error, effort, thinking, and sometimes, just punching those
keys. Questions on a skill that yes, any 14 year old knows, how to
enter three words into a search engine does not suit a professional
technical writer. Believe it or not, this field requires skill and an
approach that you might not be able to be taught.

=====
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer, in process of looking
for next contract effective 1/1/2001.
"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
-Abraham Lincoln

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230