Re: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: Re: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 14:16:31 -0800

Bill Swallow wrote:
> --- Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:
> > I don't know: does anybody take a job for the stock
> > options these days?
> They are a nice perk, but they are not a decision
> factor for me. They rank up there with casual dress
> and flexible hours...
> I had a chunk of stock from a former employer. How
> happy I was when they hit $2/share.

I once walked away from 30,000 shares. The pay was low, the company
was a long way from doing an IPO, and I wasn't going to stick around
three years to get the share. More importantly, even at the inital
valuation, I would just barely be reimbursed for the over time that
I was expected to do in return over those three years.

I quit that job, and took one that gave me more money up front. I
may get some options out of it later, but, even if I don't, I feel
that the company's playing straight with me. Instead of leading me
on with jam tomorrow, it's giving me jam today.

Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux
604.421.7189 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

"A polite conformity with the notions of fools is a necessary
- Edgar Pangborn, "Davy"

Dec. 7-8, 2000, Orlando, FL -- $100 discount for STC members. or 800-646-9989.