RE: Dialog boxes, writing about

Subject: RE: Dialog boxes, writing about
From: "Molly Bowling" <mbowling -at- statsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:01:47 -0600

<The individual who wants these terms removed says that they are "engineering
terms and they will scare the average user." He says that the terms do not
benefit the user in any way and are useless. Do you all always include the
abovementioned terms in your documentation, or are they expendable? Do
they scare you?>

I try to be very specific in describing options in my documentation, but our user interface is quite complicated, with multiple tabs, buttons, option buttons, check boxes, etc.

We don't differentiate amongst different kinds of "boxes", however. I do think it's a bit much to expect the average user to know the difference between a combo box and a list box.

Molly Bowling
StatSoft, Inc.