RE: "atmospheric" benefits, a la Ms. Otto's challenge

Subject: RE: "atmospheric" benefits, a la Ms. Otto's challenge
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- InfinitecNetworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:06:52 -0600

Elizabeth Cummings writes about the "atmospheric benefit" of a company
extending health and/or education benefits to couples and partners,
including same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples, married or unmarried.

In my book, benefits like this are extremely meaningful and would definitely
play a role in my favorable consideration of a company's offer. If I were to
receive a good offer from a company that respects its employees, recognizes
strong partnerships and families (traditional or otherwise), and is willing
to put its money where its mouth is, well, pack my boxes now. Ditto for
companies that have strong and unambiguous non-discrimination policies that
cover sexual preference in addition to racial, ethnic, and religious
minorities, and physically disabled populations (or differently abled, if
you feel strongly about that terminology). Benefits should protect employees
and their families, whether that family is heterosexual and married,
heterosexual and unmarried, a lesbian/gay union, a single unmarried or
never-been-married parent, etc. Granted, I am a politically progressive
person, but if I can respect the principles and standards of the company
that I work for, I'm going to be more loyal and stick around longer. Give me
a company that shows a real and tangible respect for diversity, and I would
certainly consider this to be an important and welcome benefit.

Catheryn Mason, Technical Writer
Infinitec Networks
Winner, 1999 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Excellence for Technical Writing
Winner, 2000 IABC Silver Quill Award of Merit for Technical Writing
Winner, 2000 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Merit for Technical Writing

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230