RE: Here's why formatting and layout can really matter:

Subject: RE: Here's why formatting and layout can really matter:
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:39:05 -0600

I've seen the ballot and I can easily see how someone could get confused by
it. It's one of the poorest designs I've ever seen. Yahoo has a picture of
it linked from their news pages.

What puzzles me, though, isn't so much the bad design of the ballot, but
the incompetence of the polling supervisors. Here, when you vote you are
told immediately if the ballot you're turning in is unacceptable, and
you're given another sheet. (You stick it in the machine, and if it's legal
it stays there, otherwise it gets kicked right back at you.) What puzzles
me is why any polling place would set up a procedure which allowed
prospective voters to leave the scene without knowing if the ballot they
turned in was legally marked (no one but you can make sure you voted for
the candidate you wanted to vote for, but a simple machine should be able
to see immediately that you marked two votes, and kick the card back out
for reprocessing). That just seems like elementary common sense to me.

I mean, voters in this country are scarce enough; who in their right mind
would want to waste a single one of them?

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230