RE: Here's why formatting and layout can really matter:

Subject: RE: Here's why formatting and layout can really matter:
From: Dan Hall <Dan -at- cooper -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:16:25 -0800

Bruce:

To this point:

>>Answer: as much effort as needed. If your audience is very old, or
>>going to be reading in the dark, then use large letters by all
>>means. And isn't step by step directions part of a tech writer's
>>stock in trade? :-)

The ballot's design was poor (in part) _because_ they tried to make the type
larger. <g> In Palm Beach, which is a Mecca for retirees, the ballots were
different from what they were in the rest of Florida. I agree with the
earlier poster who questioned why we're still using 16th century technology
to decide elections.

<RANT>
And yes, step-by-step directions are what we do (mainly.) But I don't think
I should have to provide directions for how to find or identify the letters
on the keyboard. When I say "Right Click on the Doozer" I don't think I
should have to explain which mouse button is the one on the right, or
provide a picture. Why are we required to explain, in detail, that there
isn't an "any" key?

My point is that people need to take a little responsibility. Just the
littlest bit. If you're about to punch a hole in a paper, and that hole that
will decide the fate of the free world, I think someone of average
intelligence would exercise a reasonable amount of care as to where they
punched the hole. But that's just me. Maybe I'm expecting an unreasonable
amount of thought and care. Maybe we should label those little hole punches
"Warning, Sticking This in Eye May Result in Injury or Death."<g>

Frankly, I love explaining complex things to people in ways that they can
understand. I love TW. But I don't enjoy the parts of this job that require
me to spoon feed folks with what should be general knowledge. I also don't
enjoy being required to tell people that when the burner on their stove is
turned on, it may be hot - or that you shouldn't insert a toothpick three
inches into your left nostril, or the right one either! :)
</RANT>

By the way, here in the Silicon Valley, our ballets didn't have any names
next to any of the numbers. You take your sample ballot in to the booth and
punch out the numbers on the ballot that correspond to numbers on the sample
ballot. For instance, if you want to vote Yes on Measure A, you punch out
hole 23, if you want to vote No on Measure A, you punch out hole 24.
Frankly, I didn't have a problem with it, but I was careful. I might even
have been thoughtful. <g>

Thanks for listening. We now return you to your regularly scheduled TW list.
;)

Dan

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230