Assuming too much responsibility

Subject: Assuming too much responsibility
From: Roy Jacobsen <rjacobse -at- GreatPlains -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:20:47 -0600

We can't assume someone else's responsibility, no matter how much we wish we
could. When we're creating the documentation or the UI for something, we do
have the responsibility to make it as clear, complete and correct as we
possibly can. But we cannot assume the user's responsibility to use our
product correctly. We can't be responsible if someone is too embarrassed or
whatever to admit they're having trouble and ask for help.

If the user screws up because WE screwed up and failed to correct it, that
is our problem.

If the user screws up because HE screwed up and is unwilling to admit it and
try to correct it, that is HIS problem.

Granted, in many cases, it can be hard to tell where the fault is. Often, it
is shared.

Roy M. Jacobsen
Senior Editor
Great Plains
1701 38th Street Southwest
Fargo, ND 58103
USA

"Getting back down counts too." -- Sir Edmund Hillary (on climbing Mt.
Everest)