RE: Ballot Design Hogwash

Subject: RE: Ballot Design Hogwash
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:53:17 -0500

Hi,

I have no problems conceding that

1. the design of the Palm Beach passed all legal tests and
2. that similar designs have been used in many precincts.

Those concessions say nothing about the quality of the design or the need
for usability tests.

As for your statement:

7. There were 19,000+ ballots thrown out in Palm Beach
because they had holes punched for two presidential
candidates. 16,000 votes were thrown out in 1996.
Presumably, this is done by people who make a
mistake, and think they can rectify it by punching
another hole for the candidate they intended to vote
for. I'd argue that anyone simple-minded enough to
think this is the right way to do it is not qualified to
vote. Everyone knows that you are entitled to a new
ballot when you make a mistake, and certainly
elderly people who have voted many times during
their lifetime should know that, assuming they are
still mentally competent.

I marked both a Yes and a No in a local election on my ballot (a fill in the
bubble type). I thought that an X through the erroneous choice would
suffice. It did not. My ballot was rejected by a machine so that I could
correct my error and have my vote count.
I like a system that accommodates my level of mental competence<g>.

Jim Shaeffer
jims -at- spsi -dot- com

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230