Re: Real value (was implementing single-source) (Long)

Subject: Re: Real value (was implementing single-source) (Long)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:48:21 -0800

Dan Emory wrote:
>
> Bruce:
> Show me where my analysis of old vs new document management systems
> and the advantages of an XML-based system has elements of reductio
> ad absurdum argument.
>
> Do you dispute what I state about the ROIs that have been achieved
> by companies who have implemented such systems?

While I have no statistics, my own experience of XML (although
probably more limited than yours) leaves me with little doubt that
it can be used successfully. As I've said, it can complicate design
work, but that's not its focus. So, no dispute there. I just doubt
that it's a universal panacea.

As for my description of your argument, in my original post I was
referring to your characterization of Andrew's position, not your
analysis of the benefits. Perhaps I should have clarified that.

However, since you've raised the issue, I would add that you make
some fairly sweeping statements about old document management
systems. In particular, I'd like to mention that the statement that
files that are checked out can't be modified by anyone else is
certainly not true under cvs, the system that has been used by
thousands of free and open source developers and writers,
collaborating with dozens of people over the Internet. Linux
includes several tools for adding patches or creating a single file
that incorporates the changes made in several versions.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux
604.421.7189 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

"The king works backwards, day and night,
Says you went left when you should have gone right,
Try to do undo what you've once done wrong,
The king works backwards all day long."
- Pete Morton

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Develop HTML-based Help with Macromedia Dreamweaver! (STC Discount.)
**NEW DATE/LOCATION!** January 16-17, 2001, New York, NY.
http://www.weisner.com/training/dreamweaver_help.htm or 800-646-9989.

Sponsored by SOLUTIONS, Conferences and Seminars for Communicators
Publications Management Clinic, TECH*COMM 2001 Conference, and more
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.


Previous by Author: Re: Format of GUI element names
Next by Author: Re: What is a reasonable training period for newbie writers?
Previous by Thread: Re: Real value (was implementing single-source) (Long)
Next by Thread: Re: Real value (was implementing single-source) (Long)


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads