Re: What is a reasonable training period for newbie writers?

Subject: Re: What is a reasonable training period for newbie writers?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:16:11 -0800

My first job as a tech writer was also the first tech writer for the
company. I took the job because I was in grad school, supporting my kid on
$600 a month - including the $35 a week child support my ex was paying, when
he remembered to write the check. The job paid $10 an hour, 30 hours a week.
What a deal, I thought. Did I know anything about writing manuals? Nope. I
figured I would learn as I went. I bought tech writing books like crazy -
remember, I was making $10 an hour! - read and studied and wrote. (I knew a
programmer at the company thru school and he knew I needed the money badly,
could write and was interested in technology)

My hope is that those manuals have all burned in a fire and are no longer on
the face of this earth. They were pretty bad. Actually, they were awful.
Within 18 months, I was allowed to hire 2 professional writers to manage and
I learned a TON from them. They were paid more than I was but I got to
manage them and learn. One especially taught me more than I still know I
know.

It can be done. It is not easy and fortunately, I had an aptitude for
technology and could write. And I was more than willing to get coaching from
any other writer who would help me learn.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org