Re: Appalling English -Sorry for the garble

Subject: Re: Appalling English -Sorry for the garble
From: Yosuke Ichikawa <ichikawayosuke -at- obun -dot- co -dot- jp>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:18:50 +0900

I'm very sorry that my previous post had unreadable characters.

I made the mistake of writing in a Japanese text editor and pasting. The basic alphabet letters are okay, but the quotes and apostrophes turn out garbled, since they are assigned a different code.

Sorry, too, for the late response, especially those of you who wrote me directly to kindly remind me of this problem. I sent the message just before I got off work Friday night, and I didn't see your responses until a few hours ago, this Monday morning.

And thank you _so_ much Chris Musser for your trouble of fixing my text and reposting!!!
(Please tell me what I might be able to do in return.)

I won't waste bandwidth by reposting again myself, but if anyone still wants it, please write me directly.

***************

In response to Robert Partridge's post, "No final proof, no quality control. Of course, often the corrections were either ignored or more mistakes were made in interpreting the corrections. And the company was perfectly happy with that situation! In fact, I often had to explain to my manager why it took me several days to write an instruction book, when it used to be done in at most an hour. No wonder there were so many poor instruction manuals in the market! ":

In our case, clients are really concerned not to deliver an _incorrect_ manual, which would be the worst case. They have an independent quality controls section to check if the product actually behaves _exactly_ the way described in the manual. If say an illustration shows one indicator in the LCD lit up where it really doesn't, I would--deservedly-- have to correct it.

But they're far less enthusiastic in improving the quality of English writing, especially when the manual is based on existing older manuals, complete with translations in ten or more languages, since the change would mean a revision in English and all translated languages, for this and other similar models. (In this respect, it's really important to get it right on the relatively few occasion when a manual is made completely from scratch, since it will be used for other future models in the series).

A lot of times, the section in charge of the manuals seems not to have a strong position themselves within the company. Manuals are not necessarily high in the company's list of proirities. They want to provide their products with as many catchy features at the lowest profitable price; these are, understandably, what sells the product, at least in the immediate sense, and, in their view, the manual is almost something they reluctantly have to include. (I still believe that badly written manuals would harm their reputation, but they're worried about the immediate sales figures). Thus the manual section work under great cost-reduction pressure ( except perhaps in a few very successful companies, which my current main client certainly is not one of).

Plus, they can't tell the quality of English writing themselves--as I've repeated in my previous post--so they tend to settle with "well, at least it doesn't say anything wrong". I imagine I'll be tempted to react the same way, if for example I was in charge of making the Hungarian or Arabic manual--languages I'm clueless to--and just when I thought everything was done, someone comes up to say that, while the manual may not be "incorrect" as such, its language is odd and can use a lot of improvement.

From what I read in this list, as a technological solution, translation memory software, in combination with perhaps FrameMaker, seems to be great for reusing bits and parts of manuals, achieving consistency among different models and cutting/reducing new translation costs by reuse. I've been wanting to look into this for some time but haven't had the time to experiment.

Thanks for reading.

Yosuke Ichikawa
Obun Printing

P.S. I've been wondering what is the origin of your English (American?) expression "my 2 cents" to mean the contibution of your opinion. Does it perhaps have a Christian background, where perhaps one is asked to donate 2 % of your income to charity? (This is a wild guess, and I don't mean to offend anyone.)