Re: Newbies

Subject: Re: Newbies
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:17:26 -0800 (PST)

Another thought on hiring newbies:

Give them an early review - 6 months or so. If they
are soaring, by all means move them up to the next
status level (junior to TW1, or TW1 to TW2). By doing
this, you are further encouraging them to do good work
and succeed. Otherwise, they *WILL* soak up as much
knowledge and experience as possible and look for
another job.

Another quick note:

Many of the top TW schools (perhaps unintentionally)
give writers false hopes for work after college. I was
told on several occasions (back in the early 1990's)
that I should expect $35k - $40k out of college. This
was in the Northeast USA, and they weren't pointing at
Boston or NYC (they mentioned more for these areas).
So, some newbies may store this nugget in their head
and demend such. I'm not saying you should pay it
(hell, if you can, great!). But, that's what they are
expecting. If they expect less, it may be a blow to
their ego - which is where the positive reinforncement
and rewards come in.

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
bswallow -at- poweradz -dot- com