RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?

Subject: RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:18:38 -0700

I think Mike Huber pointed out once in a previous round of discussions on this topic that "display" does indeed have an intransitive use, but it relates to mating behavior.

I think I also took issue with the "magicality" argument for not using "appears"?that somehow the word "appears" gives the impression of a supernatural event.

Meanwhile, a silhouette appears on the horizon, police appear on the scene, clouds appear in the sky.

... and dialog boxes appear on my screen.

I would (and do) use "is displayed" before I would ever use "displays."

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
FrameMaker ACE, WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459