RE: Hocus Pocus

Subject: RE: Hocus Pocus
From: Maggie Secara <MSecara -at- bizbuyer -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:54:32 -0800

It's not a matter of opinion, or a hazy feeling of passivity. It's a simple
matter of construction. Basically, the passive is formed from the past
tense of a verb plus a form of "to be". The actor is either clearly stated
in a phrase beginning with "by" or is unknown, making the reader wonder "by

The ball was thrown by John.
The computer was stolen.
The file was eaten by the computer.
The tickets were lost.