doc security

Subject: doc security
From: Damien Braniff <dbraniff -at- iss-dsp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:48:57 +0000

Some time ago I was asked by our legal bod about ways to tie down a
contract so that it couldn't
be tampered with (at least easily!). I asked about PDF forms and, from
the replies I got, suggested
a possible solution. Just come back to me abot something else they'd
like to do. I can't think of a
way of doing it but maybe somebody out there is feeling a bit brighter.
I've done some checking but the extra needed has me stumped at the

Main instructions to sales people are:

1 Add License number to Header ? using sequential numbers as
allocated to each salesperson
2 Insert Customer Name & Address on page 1
3 Add bolt-on Clauses as necessary
4 DO NOT make any edits to the text without prior approval

1,2, and 4 I think are OK. PDF version with form fields for adding
relevant info. As printing is
required the full version of Acrobat is needed. PDF doc can be password
protected to prevent text

3 is the new requirement and I can see no nice way of doing it using
PDF. I had thought initially of several versions with the different
optins added in but the number of possible permutations is just too
high. Could possibly be done using the Form fn in Word with MOST of the
doc protected (in sections) and the bolt-on clauses either
hidden/visible (aim is to print them out) but I'm not sure about the

Any/all suggestions welcome.

Damien Braniff

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
Integrated Silicon Systems Ltd. Tel: +44 28 90 50 4000
50 Malone Road Fax: +44 28 90 50
Belfast BT9 5BS Web: