Illustrator - cross platform font trouble

Subject: Illustrator - cross platform font trouble
From: Archimede Ziviello <archimede -dot- ziviello -at- cannondale -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:32:41 -0500

I am having a real problem distilling a framemaker .ps file and I think its
related to illustrations that are linked in the document. I can't find the
offending illustration for some reason. Here's what I get in Distiller:

%%[Warning: unable to embed font /ArialMT. undefined]%%
%%[ Error: limitcheck; OffendingCommand: distillsave ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
Distill Time: 84 seconds (00:01:24)
**** End of Job ****

I have created a rather robust framemaker document (PC) and have been using
illustrator files that were created on a MAC system for the document
(created in QXP). The illustrator(s) seem to use a pile of fonts in their
work (a lot of it creative). However, I'm doing pure technical illustration
(mechanical assembly, parts lists, digital photgraphy w/call-out etc.) so
creative fonts are just no of interest. And, the cross-platform netork
support issues required me to abandon the MACs in favor of the PC.

I've done a lot of learning and have made significant mistakes as this is
all very new to me (coming from a graphics-sparse mainframe tech writing job

I alter the illustrations as needed myself without the aid of a dedicated
illustrator. And I often re-size the illustration in the layout. In order
to have call-outs retain their point size I went eps and embed the font
(Arial). I tried to knock out all fonts from the MAC source files but this
ArialMT is hanging around for some reason. I can't find the illustration or
even the page based on the .log file.

Can anyone give troubleshooting tips, and point me to some good reading on
technical service manual authoring?