RE: tech writer bookshelf

Subject: RE: tech writer bookshelf
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:47:22 -0500

Chris,

Good list (I have almost all of them), here's a couple you might want to
add:

The Elements of Grammar, Margaret Shertzer
The Elements of Editing, Arthur Plotnik (my journalism & marketing
background is showing)
Wired Style-Principles of English Usage in the Digital Age, Constance Hale
Information Architecture for the World Wide Web, Rosenfeld & Morville
Designing Web Usability, Jakob Nielson
Visualizing Information, Tufte

Since I'm one of those soap-box advocates of integrating product design with
user support, I think it behooves every technical communicator to understand
the principles of visual design, user-centered design, task analysis, and
process improvement. Then you can choose the tools (and references) that
are most suited to the challenges of the specific project.

MTC

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb