Subject: Re: ADMIN: FYI
From: Anne Magee <magee -at- caris -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:05:56 -0400

At 01:18 PM 11/15/00 -0800, Marilynne Smith wrote:

If you have Eudora 5.0, watch for the chili pepper warnings. Eudora does chili pepper assessments on both your own work and on incoming mail. Some TECHWR-L email rates three chili peppers (think again before you send this).

I have Eudora 5.0. The very first chili-pepper message I received was from this list and I was sorely puzzled as to why. I couldn't see anything offensive in the message at all. Eventually I figured it out: The first message, written by Dick Margulis, was not flagged as offensive. But the reply was because it contained the word "Dick" three times -- once in the reply, once in the attributions, and once in the original message.

Apparently it's OK to call someone a "Dick" once, but not three times. (This message has two chili peppers now.)

Which only goes to show that you shouldn't rely on chili peppers to tell you how offensive you are.

A Magee, Technical Writer
magee -at- caris -dot- com
Core Division
Telephone: 1.506.458.8533 Fax: 1.506.459.3849

Sponsored by SOLUTIONS, Conferences and Seminars for Communicators Publications Management Clinic, TECH*COMM 2001 Conference, and more or 800-448-4230