Re: Server vs. server?

Subject: Re: Server vs. server?
From: "Krezel, Lillian" <Lillian -dot- Krezel -at- midata-ebs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:08:56 -0500

Geoff Hart wrote:
> Once you've defined this (to provide
> context for the reader), simply refer to the software by its own name
> thereafter. (That ought to keep the marketing geeks happy.) Nobody refers
> "the Word 97 text processing and formatting and mangling software", we
just
> say "that damned Word". <g>

Nope, the marketing folks at one of my former companies were indeed *not*
happy with the construct Geoff suggests. I preferred to write such things
as "While Geekamania is running, do not shut down any computer in the
network domain."

TPTB insisted on "While the Geekamania [tm] software is running . . ."
They regarded the application's name as an adjective modifying "software",
and were afraid that if we did it my way, the name would enter common usage
(an inflated admiration of their product? <g>) and the company would lose
the trademark. They preferred that we rewrite thousands of pages of
manuals. (Of course, they also thought a global search-and-replace
would do the trick, but that's another tale.)

Lili

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230