Re: What About the Passive-Aggressive Voice?

Subject: Re: What About the Passive-Aggressive Voice?
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:21:42 -0600

My editor pointed out to me that I am having problems with the
passive-aggressive voice in my documentation.

In case you are wondering, the passive-aggressive voice looks like active
voice to your face, but then just goes about its own business behind your
back.

For example, I wrote:

3. Click Add Static Routing Rule.

Result: The Add Static Routing Rule window opens.

Yet, when my editor went through the procedure to verify its accuracy, the
Add Static Routing Rule window did not open. Nor did it appear, or even
display.

A classic case of the passive-aggressive voice.

Any suggestions?

Yeah,

Try the passive-obtuse voice. Then your editor won't know what you're saying.

Scott