Re: Writer Attitudes

Subject: Re: Writer Attitudes
From: Itowsley -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:33:31 EST

In a message dated 11/16/00 7:14:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com writes:

<< It's the people who are motivated by insecurity and fear of
inadequacy who are rude or who insist on proper respect being
paid to them. That's true not only of writers, but of anybody in
any field. >>

Bruce,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I would also add the statement
that sometimes, these individuals also perceive others as being rude when
they are challenged. (If I say something that I have presented no evidence
for in front of trained colleagues, especially, I EXPECT to be challenged.
To expect otherwise is to be merely foolish.)

I would also hesitate in making a judgement about someone. I always look at
the environment someone is in. Some environments make it impossible to be
anything but difficult - not because the person wants to be, but because they
have to be in order to get the job done. When ridiculous hurdles are being
constantly thrown in front of someone who has a ridiculously short deadline
(read 2 days to get it all written, Compiled, Tested, Checked In, QA'd and
ready for release), no one should be surprised if that person starts having a
reputation for being "testy". Remove those elements and the person becomes
extremely easy to work with.

I have been known as both easy to work with and difficult to work with.
Sometimes it just is. I am not perfect - I am human. I don't suffer fools
gladly. I also meet my deadlines - even in extreme conditions.

I always try to explain why the things I ask for are necessary, but sometimes
it just doesn't sink in for whatever reason. I'm leaving my present job for
a variety of reasons, money, opportunity, etc. I'm not leaving because I
hate it - I enjoy the majority of people I work with. But when I got to do
the last bit of work for one project where the individual managing it has
been a complete a##(&(&D about introducing procedures that do nothing but
slow down production, I was so happy that I was bubbling over with joy the
whole next morning. That person would claim I was difficult. (Many around
him would say he is difficult.)

I also call people on BS and lies. I don't stand for it from myself and
won't stand for it from others - unless there is a VERY, VERY GOOD REAON.
(I.E. the news will kill someone.) This has made me popular with one side
while unpopular with another side of several issues. I treat everyone
equally, unless you consistently lie or BS to others for no better reason
than you can.

I don't think anyone who knows me would ever call me rude - some individuals
who have been threatened by me have called me rude. It has always been in
situations where I have challenged some statement they have made without
sufficient evidence or research. (Sorry, if you are building an ecommerce
site you should understand the numbering system on credit cards, it just
isn't that complicated.)

Sorry for the vent, but I think it is important to realize that you better
look at the whole picture before jumping to conclusions.

Regards,

Melissa L. Owsley

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230