Re: tech writer bookshelf

Subject: Re: tech writer bookshelf
From: Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- vcubed -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:10:21 -0500

Michelle has some good points, but I disagree with her regarding grad
school. Graduate school tends to have an extremely academic focus on
technical writing which often doesn't mean diddly in the corporate world. If
you want to take classes to write better, I would recommend a continuing
education course in English composition. For myself, the Editor's
Association of Canada offers some excellent courses in editing and indexing
that have proved invaluable to my work.

I use the Chicago Manual of Style, although I hear the Sun book is excellent
as well. We also refer to NASA SP-7084 "Grammar, Punctuation, and
Capitalization: A Handbook for Technical Writers and Editors," available in
PDF format at http://stipo.larc.nasa.gov/sp7084/sp7084cont.html

Other items on my bookshelf:
? Draft Standard for Software User Documentation - Software Standards
Committee of the IEEE Computer Society
? A Dictionary of Modern English Usage - H.W. Fowler
? Handbook of Technical Writing - Gerald J. Alred, Charles T. Brusaw, &
Walter E. Oliu
? The Elements of Style - William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White
? Copyediting: A Practical Guide - Karen Judd
? Words into Type, Third Edition

Next on my books wish list is "The Transitive Vampire" by Karen Elizabeth
Gordon.

I hope this helps. Cheers!
--
Elizabeth Ross
Senior Technical Writer, V3 Semiconductor Corp.

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230