Re: ADMIN: FYI

Subject: Re: ADMIN: FYI
From: <bogucki91030 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:41:47 -0800 (PST)

Tom:

Very well said. You have said it all.

I know a lot of recruiters - and have family membvers
who work in personnel. The 'organizational fit'
considerations are a large part of and often the
majority of why a person is hired, or not hired. As a
former manager myself, I know the hours that can be
wasted having to deal with 'personnel' issues with
someone who is difficult to work with. It is bad for
business. (The Pareto Principle - One small part of
the workforce creates 90% of the work. It is true.
Think about the hours of wated time: Calling them in,
dealing with the problems they create with other
workers, possibly writing them up, warning them,
documenting, dealing with the lowered morale they
foster, and possibly eventually firing them, which
involves setting up the paper trail to be able to fire
them, etc.)

Anotehr point which may not apply to tech writers,
because apparently there is a shortage, but in many
fields, when you might have several applicants who are
'qualified' for the job, why should you hire someone
with a poor attitude when you have a choice of other
people? A good friend is tyring to get a professor
position. There are several hundred applications (it
is a prestigious institution - I won't say which one.)
Why would anyone hire a person with a poor attitude if
there are several hundred applicants from whom they
can select?

Just my two cents on this.

Im outta here.

Mario