Re: Page Layout Program

Subject: Re: Page Layout Program
From: Wil Gaffga <WilG -at- gibbscam -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:07:14 -0800

I totally agree with Scott re: Frame being the item of choice for tech-heavy
documents.

> PageMaker, InDesign, Quark, are all designed for shorter documents where
> layout
> is variable, and exact placement is important. They can be used for long
> documents, but are a real pain, since they do not allow the templates and
> automation of format that FrameMaker does.

Of these, Quark XPress is the way to go. InDesign has potential but is still
so very much an infant. It is great for ads or spreads but forget about long
docs. PageMaker is okay but Quark is the king. Version 4 introduced many
long document friendly features, including TOC & Index features that make it
viable as a light-weight graphics intensive alternate to FrameMaker. So, do
not write QXP off so quickly if you need refined typographical & graphics
capabilities.

We made the transition from QXP to Frame this year. While I've learned a lot
and Frame makes much of my job so much easier (tables for one thing), I
would be willing to do great bodily harm to an Adobe executive for some of
Quark's graphical ability.

Wil

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230