RE: MAC and PageMaker

Subject: RE: MAC and PageMaker
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:15:12 -0600

>I HAVE also had problems with floppies and zip disks and
>compression/decompression software. Many of my PageMaker
>documents vastly
>exceed the capacity of a single floppy; Mac and PC zip drives don't like
>eachothers' disks;

I've never seen an incidence of a Mac rejecting a PC-formatted zip in my
life. PC's don't like Mac-formatted zips, though.

> and Mac and PC decompression technologies don't always
>work together.

In my experience, Zip is better at cross-platform transfer than Stuffit
(mainly because the folks that are PC-centric don't have Stuffit for
Windows installed, and are usually afraid to go get it, for fear of
upsetting their system). There are several zip compressors available for
the Mac. I've had some problems with UnZip, for example, but not with
enough regularity to be able to diagnose what's causing them.

I've had some problems with getting compressed TIFF images across
platforms, but that's usually caused by the fact that the PC and Mac
formats for TIFF have the order of bytes reversed. Some Mac programs are
savvy enough to realize this and compensate for it, but not all.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230