Experiences writing Z specs

Subject: Experiences writing Z specs
From: Robert -dot- Partridge -at- MONDEX -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 11:02:05 -0000

Hi all,

I was just interested in knowing if anyone has had the requirement to write
specifications in Z? If so, were you working in a team, or as a sole writer?
Was Z your first introduction to formal specification languages, discrete
maths and sets? How did you find it? Did you go on a course? Was the course
useful? Do you find Z specs useful when writing documentation?

I'm working on a number of projects that have been specified in Z and it
will be my job to work in a team that maintains the specs. I've just been on
an introduction to Z course and found it a bit of a struggle. That was the
first time I've used discrete maths in anger! It was the kind of subject I
ran away from at University.

Z seems like a good idea. Using maths and logic to specify a system enables
a mid to high level specification to be tested and 'proven' before you start
to code. And because the language should have descriptive English for each
section, it is quite readable (well, almost). This should make
specifications more useful to a tech writer when they come to write the
documentation for the implementation.

Rob

Robert Partridge
Technical Author

Tel: +44 (0)20 7557 5098
Fax: +44 (0)20 7557 5298
Email: robert -dot- partridge -at- mondex -dot- com

The information in this Email and any attached files are confidential,
may also be privileged, and is intended solely for the addressee.
Access, copying, dissemination, distribution or re-use of the information
in this Email and any attached files by anyone else is unauthorised.
necessarily represent those of Mondex International Limited or any of its
affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient, all copies of the Email
and associated files in your possession should be destroyed.

Mondex International Limited
47-53 Cannon Street
London EC4M 5SH
United Kingdom