Style Guide for Online Portfolios

Subject: Style Guide for Online Portfolios
From: "Kevin Barry" <kmbarry90 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:35:42 -0500

Greetings!

We are two undergraduate Technical Communication students at Bowling Green State University, working on a senior honors thesis. We are developing a style guide for online portfolios. We are hoping to use the opinions of professionals to support our research.

At the end of this message, you will find the Web address of a survey we have developed to gather those opinions. We would appreciate it greatly if you would take the time to fill out the survey and submit it to us. The survey, in its entirety, will take you about six minutes to complete.

Before the address are several paragraphs of legal information required by the Human Subjects Review Board. This information is duplicated on the survey page itself, as is our contact information.

If you have questions or are interested in receiving more information, or are interested in receiving a copy of the finished style guide, please contact us at one (or both) of these email addresses:

jillwes -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu

kmbarry -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu

Here's the official part: This survey involves research; submitting the form to us implies your consent for us to use your data as part of our aggregate data. We assume that anyone responding is an adult (18 years old) and is capable of giving their informed consent.

The goal of the project is to develop a style guide for online portfolios (also called digital portfolios or electronic portfolios). Your survey responses will be anonymous; we are making no effort to determine the identity of our participants. However, because you will transmit the data over the Internet, the possibility exists that it could fall into anyone's hands. When you see the questions, I doubt this will be a big concern.

Participation in this project is entirely voluntary; there are no incentives to either participate or not participate. Gratitude is extended to those who participate, but since you will not be identified, that gratitude cannot be exchanged for any more tangible benefit.

If you have questions or concerns that would be best directed to our advisor for this project, you will find his contact information on the Web site. If you have concerns about your participation in this study and would like to contact the Bowling Green State University Human Subjects Review Board, call 1.419.372.7716 or email hsrb -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu Thank you!

Survey Web Address: http://www.amis.cba.bgsu.edu/b/barry/survey.html

Thank you for reading this far.

Kevin and Jill