RE: Screen capture of tool tips (and other ephemerals)?

Subject: RE: Screen capture of tool tips (and other ephemerals)?
From: Ken Bowes <KBowes -at- dacg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:04:26 -0600

Geoff,

I am finding that this is not totally consistant. In one program, (MS Word)
it works as you say, yet on the program we have designed, the tool tip
disappears as soon as I hit the control or shift key. Any ideas on how to
get around this?

Ken Bowes

<From: Hart, Geoff

Genevieve Burt wondered <<Does anyone know how to get a screen capture of a
tool tip?>>

Piece of cake! (Don't you just hate when people say that?* <g>) In SnagIt,
open the Input menu, and select Properties. Click the Menu tab to select it,
then select the checkbox labeled "Capture cascading menus". Voila! To
capture the image, display the tooltip you want to capture, hit the hotkey
you've defined for the screen capture (I use Control-Shift-P), and you've
got the tooltip neatly captured.

* Doing it is a piece of cake; finding out how to do so took a bit more
effort. My first thought was that using a timer would work, but it didn't.
Fortunately, cascading menus are similar enough to tooltips in my somewhat
convoluted thought process that I took a chance on this option and found
that it worked.

--Geoff Hart, FERIC, Pointe-Claire, Quebec>

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230