Word Help (problem solved)

Subject: Word Help (problem solved)
From: chasity mcwilliams <chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:12:54 -0700

Again, thank you to everyone who responded to my cry for
help. While many of you provided helpful responses for
this particular predicament, I found a very simple solution
that will work (although it may not be very graceful).

I put myself in the position of someone using a typewriter.
They would normally use the carriage return to set their
margins (depending on the typewriter). Once I realized
that, it was a matter of working with the fonts that the
students are allowed to use. Since Times New Roman is the
only font in our labs that is also on the specifications
for the Grad student Thesis, it became that much easier.

With the documents set to double space and the font set to
12pt, all I had to do was insert two hard carriage returns
in the document. That placed the first line of text exactly
at 1.75 (with top and bottom margins set to 1).

So the next page is still set with a top margin of 1 and
the page numbering doesn't get thrown out of whack.

Its probably cheating, but it will be much easier to
explain this to a frustrated graduate student than to try
and teach them Acrobat.

"You're not dying, you just can't think of anything
good to do."
-Ferris B.

chasity mcwilliams
chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu