MS Word problem - including text in a TOC?

Subject: MS Word problem - including text in a TOC?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:43:57 -0500

Michael Collier <<I need to get part of the text that is on one line onto a
line by itself so I can apply a style to be read into the TOC of a large
document.>>

If all you're trying to do is add text buried within a paragraph to the
table of contents, simply select the desired text and apply one of the
unused heading styles (e.g., heading 6) to it. Then format "heading 6" to
use the correct font etc. for the paragraph in which the text lies. You can
apply styles globally to selected text using search and replace: enter the
text in the "find what" field, enter it again in the "replace with" field,
then click the "More" button to reveal more choices, the "Format" button to
show a menu of formats, and select "Style" to define what style you want to
apply (here, heading 6). You could also (in the properties dialog box for
the table of contents) specify that you want Word to build the TOC using
fields instead of styles, and insert the appropriate field everywhere your
text occurs; I haven't tried this, so I'll leave it to someone more expert
to explain how. You'll probably have to play with the table formatting
afterwards in both approaches.

<<I don't think there is a search and replace operation that will get
MESSAGE: ^t [message_name] onto a line by itself.>>

All you need to do is enter this text into the "find what" field, then copy
it to the "replace with" field and add ^p (a paragraph break) before and
after the text to force a line break before and after it.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230