RE: Christmas Techie Toy...?

Subject: RE: Christmas Techie Toy...?
From: Darriel Dawne <ddawne -at- infowave -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:54:25 -0800

Hi Diane,
PocketPC (CE 3.0) will do most of that and run well on the Compaq iPaq or HP
My company develops the software to enable wireless email and web access, so
I've played with both the iPaq and the Joranada quite a bit (I vote for the
iPaq if you can find one).
The PocketPC OS will do most of what you want.

> Is a telephone
Not yet, but I've heard this functionality is under development.

> Functions as a pager

> Allows Email service
> Allows Internet access
Yes - works great (with Infowave software :-)

> Acts as notepad - uses MS Word is ideal
Yes, but skimped down Pocket Word

> Allows downloading/docking into your main computer to transfer data
Yes, using ActiveSync

> Has Fax capabilities

Not that I know of, but you can receive email attachments.

> I've found wireless phones with some of these functions, and
> some Palm Pilot
> type units (Royal, HP's, etc.) that offer others, but no
> combo unit small

> enough to handle them all yet.

If you want to have voice, email and limited browsing capabilities, WAP
phones (data enabled phones with built in Web browsers - Nokia or
are a good option. But you loose out on all the other functionality.

Good luck in your search.
This message sent using the Infowave Wireless Business Engine(tm)

Darriel Dawne
Technical Communications
E: ddawne -at- infowave -dot- com
T: 604 473 3631