RE: Christmas Techie Toy...?

Subject: RE: Christmas Techie Toy...?
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:32:00 -0500

Hi Diana,

You asked about a "toy" that could do a LOT of things! You're looking for a
lot in a small package.

Similar to Darriel's suggestions, a Pocket PC device might work for you.
Those of us who'd worked 5 years at the company I work for were given Compaq
Aero's last Christmas, and as Darriel states, it does many things you want.
However, I found that I didn't use mine much. It had some limitations I just
couldn't work around--like not having a keyboard. And the trimmed down
versions of the MS software packages (like Pocket Word, etc.) are just too
limited to me.

I would suggest you check into the very small laptops now on the market. My
coworker just bought one--a Sony VAIO. It's about 3/4 of the size of a
regular laptop, but it has a keyboard, and it runs Windows 98 or Windows
2000 (I forget which). It even has a little built in camera! She didn't need
the very latest bells and whistles, which is good, because the current
version sells for about $2000, so she got an older model off of eBay for
about $800. She's VERY happy with it, and now we all covet it! ; )

You do trade off some things, of course, by going this route--it can only be
so small and still have a usable keyboard--but to me, this is a much better
solution than the Palm PCs or Pocket PCs. Unfortunately, these are a bit
pricier! Also, this does not function as a phone or pager. Perhaps combining
it with a digital cell phone would get you close to the capabilities you
need?

Good luck in your search for you new toy!

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.