RE: [HATT] Everything active on a dropdown menu bar

Subject: RE: [HATT] Everything active on a dropdown menu bar
From: "Leslie Johnson (Wasser)" <a-leslij -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:58:14 -0800

John's question is:

"Does anyone have any tricks that they've used, aside from either manual
touchup in a paint program or multiple captures in different modes and
cutting/pasting black elements over gray elements, to capture a dropdown
menu where all the options in the dropdown appear black? Ideally, this
process would also be used to capture right-click popup menus."

John, I've run into this question before as well, and I've worked around it
by changing my desktop colors. Unless you're showing your illustrations in
color, you don't need to capture them in color. If you work with grey
scales, you can optimize your desktop colors to make the active and inactive
menu options appear close enough to the same color that it fools the eye. Of
course, it's a bit confusing when you're trying to figure out which is which
during the writing process, but it works like a darn for capturing the
screens.

If that doesn't work for you, the only other suggestion I have it the
cut-and-paste routine. Also low-tech, but takes little time and always
works.

Good luck, and keep me posted if you come up with a more elegant solution
for merging screen captures.

Leslie Johnson